Wednesday, 20th July 2005

Middlesex win keeps Totesport title hopes alive


Vs: Glamorgan

Match: 40L 1

Venue: Sophia Gardens

Day 1

Middlesex kept their Totesport National Cricket League hopes alive with a good all round display under the Sophia Gardens floodlights.

Ben Hutton won the toss and elected to bat first on a wicket offering some bounce. Middlesex lost their first wicket at 18, when Harrison bowled Ed Smith for 12. Owais Shah was caught at slip for 12, also off the bowling of Harrison, and Middlesex were 42-2 after 11 overs.

Paul Weekes and Jamie Dalrymple repaired the damage, adding 65 runs for the third wicket before Dalrymple was caught at the wicket off Alex Wharf for 30. Scott Styris hit Ganguly straight to Hemp at mid-wicket, and when Paul Weekes was caught off Cosker for 72 (off 96 balls, with 1 six & 6 fours), half the Middlesex team were out for 149.

Skipper Ben Hutton then showed a welcome return to form and with Ed Joyce they added 110 runs in 17.3 overs. Ed Joyce reached his fifty off 37 balls, and Hutton shortly afterwards off 33 balls. Joyce was stumped off Robert Croft having made 61 off 44 balls (1 six and 4 fours), and Hutton was caught in the deep off the first ball of the final over having made the same score off 41 balls (4 sixes and 3 fours).

A further two wickets were sacrificed in the final over bowled by Croft before Alan Richardson struck the final delivery of the innings for six over long on.

The Middlesex innings closed on 284-9, with 108 runs coming off the last ten overs of the innings.

In reply, Glamorgan lost Croft to a silly run out for 10, but Cherry and Wharf took their total to 56 after 12 overs before Cherry was caught at slip off Scott Styris for 20. Indian Captain, Sarouv Ganguly was caught at slip, again by Owais Shah off Melvyn Betts for six as Glamorgan were reduced to 63-3.

Ben Hutton came on at the Cathedral Road end and bowled a tidy spell of seven overs for 37 runs and Chris Peploe operated at the River Taff end with his slow left arm spin.

The hundred came up in the 21st over before another misunderstanding between the batsmen resulted in Ben Scott throwing the ball to the bowlers end to run out Wharf for 42. Hemp was caught in the deep off Peploe for five and the same bowler had Powell stumped for 35 in his next over.

Half of the Glamorgan team were out for 123 after 26 overs, and they lost a sixth wicket when Owais Shah held his fourth catch of the evening, dismissing Wallace for 11.

The remaining Glamorgan batsmen fell without much resistance to the spin of Chris Peploe, who finished with 4-38 off his nine overs and Paul Weekes 2-20. Glamorgan were all out for 173 after 35.4 overs on a glorious summerís evening in Cardiff, to leave Middlesex the victors by 111 runs.

sponsored by

northern rock

Middlesex Cricket Latest Results - Youth Cricket - Sitemap